Thursday, July 30, 2009


I've been unplugged for the last couple of weeks. Having company will do that. It's amazing what you can accomplish when you're not sucked into your laptop. I'm numero uno on the list of time wasters via the laptop. Between reading blogs, writing my own, checking email or chatting, the time is just wasted.

The last 2 weeks I was doing the kinds of things that one might blog about but just was too busy actually doing them to write about them.

Can you believe I didn't take a single picture to document it? A part of me kind of likes that - as if it's my own private moment that only I will ever have.

My grandma and I had a blast doing lots of old projects I'd just never gotten around to doing. We hung pictures, fixed our screen door, baked bread, framed artwork and just had fun.

I loved getting up each morning and fixing a pot of coffee to share with her. We would relax and talk while I fed the kids, made breakfast, or watered the plants. She would talk about the latest book she was reading (she read about one a day) and then leave it on the table for me to read later. I now have 5 new books on my nightstand.

She would pull out our notepad and start making our list for the day. Groceries to pick up, project odds and ends to buy, errands to run, whatever. We'd do those and then work on our projects as we could either during nap times or when kids were entertained. Every time my lazy side would try to make excuses, she'd keep pushing me. And you know what I discovered? It didn't take as long as I thought it would. No matter the task, we always accomplished it quickly.

She had tons of knowledge on most of our home improvement issues and really showed us what we needed to buy or do to finish something.

But when 3 pm came, she always looked at me and said "Why don't you go take a nap?".

Work hard, play hard. That's what we did.

We played a new card game - Gulf - one night. Watched movies other nights. Went to the movies, and went shopping on Saturday. We had wine most nights - even mimosas one day. One afternoon we grilled and we both had 2 beers each.

I can honestly say it was a great visit, and that I was sorry she had to leave. It also DID go by quickly. I say that a lot and don't always mean it - but this time I did. At the beginning, before she arrived, 15 days sounded long - but it felt like less than a week. I hope we can do it again and soon.


Ebit said...

That sounds so nice. I love sharing a pot of coffee with a loved one. I'm so glad you had a great visit with your grandma.

Shelley said...

Ditto on Ebit's comment. So good. :) Happy times. I gotta go call my grandma now.....