Tuesday, January 1, 2008

2008 - Year 27 - The Year of Right Now


As the rest of the world begins their New Year's Resolutions, I am beginning my theme for 2008. The idea of a theme sounds so much better to me than some list of goals that I will probably not accomplish anyway.

In case you were wondering (I was), here are our top ten New Year's resolutions:

1. Spend more time with friends and family
2. Fitness of some sort
3. Lose weight
4. Quit smoking
5. Enjoy life more
6. Quit drinking
7. Get out of debt
8. Learn something new
9. Help others
10. Get organized

Those all sound excellent, and I'm sure they have all been on my list one year or another...except the quit smoking one. I'm sure if I had ever been a smoker, it would have been on there too.

So this year's theme is "Right Now". Not looking forward. Not looking back. Not looking at what could be, what should be, what would be. Just what is. Not picturing myself in any other circumstances. Not wishing for things to change or be different.

It's about enjoyment. Enjoyment of who I am, what I have, and where I am right now. Something I've never done.

It's about gratefulness. Gratefulness for the family I've been blessed with, not born with. Gratefulness for every good thing that God let me stumble into.

It's about letting go. Letting go of the pain that pushed me to the edge. Letting go of the standards that I will never measure up to. Letting go of the regrets. Letting go of the bitterness, the hatred, the anger, and the fear.

It's about love. Loving those I'm lucky enough to know. Caring for those people God has given to me.

And it's about God, the one who's been with me all 27 years. The one who is always there, always listening, and always loving. The one that never turns His back no matter how many times I've turned mine. God who is here right now, in this moment, with me.

This is my year of Right Now.

No comments: