Sunday, April 25, 2010

Pursue One Thing

Hayden and Mark being "robops" (robots)

I just started a new bible study - Growth: Training vs. Trying. I've done a lot of bible studies in the past - on my own and in groups - and let me tell you, I don't remember a lot out of most of them. Not that there was anything wrong with them, but something wrong with me. I didn't come to it with the attitude of - what can God teach me? - but of just doing some "Christian homework" because that's what good Christians do - they go to bible studies.

This time is different - I hope. This week is starting off good as usual - I'm not even 2 pages in and I get hit over the head with this:

"The secret to life is pursuing one thing."

Ooooh...and what is that one thing you ask?

Seeking the kingdom of God and his righteousness.

Which makes me ask myself: Am I pursuing one thing? I don't think so.

I'm pursuing perfection in motherhood. I'm pursuing godly character. I'm pursuing weight loss! I'm pursing a lot of things, but pursuing God is down on the list I'm sad to say.

Yet, He should be first! If I would just pursue Him and nothing else, everything would be taken care of. That's a huge burden to lay down. A burden I created for myself. I gave myself all these goals and "to-do's" when all God wants me to do is to seek Him first.

That makes me sigh a big breath of relief from setting down all that baggage.

Now I have to go let that sink in and find out what that means practically in my life.

Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need. ~ Matthew 6:33

Are you pursuing one thing? What does that look like in your life (or what do you think it should look like if you aren't)?

No comments: