Monday, April 23, 2012

The Spirit of Discontent

There are some books I go back to time and time again.  Calm My Anxious Heart is one of those books.  It's easy to live in a spirit of discontent.  The world tells us that we are always in "need".  Nothing is ever enough.  We are always in search of the next epiphany, treasure, or milestone.  Our culture craves significance and gratification.  We can't fully appreciate the blessings God's bestowed on us because our gaze is ever fixed on the future, not the present   We take each blessing, turning it over and over looking for the flaws or ways we can improve upon it.  Our minds are constantly entertained to the point of exhaustion leaving us drained and discontent.

I, for one, need constant reminding of how easily I can fall into this mode of thinking.  I have so much to be thankful for, so many blessings, I couldn't possibly acknowledge them all - we all do.  Yet, here I am asking for more, better, different

So today, is not an "I want" or "I need" or "I would really like..." day, but just.

Thank You.

No comments: