Thursday, July 19, 2007

A Sport for Everyone

Image from Vox Efx

Today I came out of my couch potato shell and tried something new. This is a big thing for me, because I NEVER try anything new. I'm one of those people who gets embarrassed when I can't do something well.

But a unique opportunity came up, and I actually acted on it. Let me set the scene:

15 (ok maybe 17) years ago...
I'm in elementary school, there's a girl in our class who reminds me a bit of myself, maybe even more clueless than I am. She begins talking about being on a softball team. I think, "Her? Playing sports? Heck, if she can do it, I can do it. I want to play softball too!"

I rush home to tell my parents my new decision. They seem to support it. The buy me a glove and a ball. My Dad teaches me to throw and catch in the front yard. I'm lovin' it. But hold on one second...my parents don't have the time to take me to practices and games. Softball is nixed.

Fast forward 3 or 4 years...
My cousin comes over. We're bored. She happens to have a glove because she DOES play softball. I dust off my old glove, we throw the ball back and forth. I get clocked in the chin. Ouch. No tears though, took it like the tough chick I am.

2 months ago...
A good friend of mine gets an idea to start a softball team in the city league. She mentions the idea to me. Inside I'm thinking, "Wow, that sounds so fun!" But then that little voice creeps into my head, reminding me that I've never played softball, and that I'd probably suck. I'm sure this team will have people who actually know how to play. I get some courage and say I'll join.

1 month ago...
I casually ask my friend if she got enough girls to join the team (you need 5). She informs me that we do. The little voice in my head says, "Great. This is the perfect opportunity for you to back out. They don't need you and now have plenty of REAL softball players. " I gracefully bow out of the team.

2 weeks ago...
My friend asks me if I wouldn't mind subbing for one of the girls that can't make it. I jump on the opportunity, knowing that in all honesty I do want to play. This seems like a "safe" way to play, but not be expected to be good or anything. After all, I'm helping out, they need 5 girls.

Last Sunday...
I go to the first practice. I'm late. I had pulled my old glove out of the garage. Uh oh. It doesn't fit anymore. I raced to Target to get a new one on the way there. They've already started. Nervousness sets in. My mind racing, "I suck, this will be embarrassing, I suck." One of the girls on the team quickly gets me integrated into the practice. I'm up to bat, I actually hit a few balls. I'm in outfield. Nothing too tragic happens. In fact, a lot of us are on the same level. I end the practice feeling good, I even join the team.

Tonight...
First game. I'm nervous. Although this is a novice league, what will the other team be like. Man I hope I don't mess up. I want to do well. Game is good. We don't win, but hey, the other team's been playing together for 4 years and we've only had 1 practice. I leave the game happy. Happy to have played. Happy to have stepped out of my shell and done something new.

It felt good

1 comment:

MZ said...

You played well! I'm VERY proud of you. =)