Wednesday, January 6, 2010

End of the Season


It hit me today that Christmas is over. I was driving Hayden to school for his first day back, and he sadly noted - "No more lights?". The last month's drive to school has been a bit of a winter wonderland with all the decorations and lights our neighbors had put up in their yards, but now that's all gone. All that's left is empty lawns and dead grass.

There is something depressing for me about January. We spend half the year in anticipation or celebration of the holidays, only to be met with another 6 months of nothing after it's all over. Our only reprieve is Easter, but that's a long way off. The world "sleeps" through this season in anticipation of Spring.

This winter I refuse to allow myself to just drudge through. There must be something good about winter. So I'm making a list of what's good. This is what I have so far:

- Soup! Soup definitely tastes the best during winter. I will have to add soups to our menu.
- Superbowl? Although I only follow college football, I do love a good Superbowl party! I think we may have to invite a few friends over now that we have a new TV worthy of such an event (Our Christmas present to each other this year was a new TV, hehe).
- Warm nights snuggled under the covers. We have a down comforter which is sort of miserable the rest of the year - but perfect every winter. I need to enjoy it while it lasts.
- Tea. Hot tea is best enjoyed if it's warming you up!
- Occasional flurries. Ok, let's be real - this isn't an often occurrence in this area, but just the possibility brings excitement and joy to everyone!

What do you enjoy about winter? Do you get "down" during this season too? Or do you find ways of making it enjoyable? What do you do to keep busy?

No comments: