Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fun With Food


Another successful shopping trip under my belt.

This weeks total: $58.15

Menu:

Monday: Chicken, rice, and cabbage soup

Tuesday: Meatballs with cream sauce and potatoes (we didn't end up making this last week)

Wednesday: Leftovers

Thursday: Chicken, broccoli, and steamed rice and salad

Friday: Homemade chicken BBQ pizza with artichoke hearts and onions

Saturday: Eat dinner out

Sunday: Chicken enchiladas

I was pretty please with the total I spent considering at least half of the items were fresh fruits or vegetables. Strawberries, bananas, grapes, artichoke, broccoli, carrots, celery, tomatoes and lettuce. I even got a few organic items - bread, milk, yogurt, chicken stock, eggs. As well as stocked up the baking goods - sugar. And a few "extras" for Hayden whole wheat goldfish and string cheese.

This total also included food for the kids this week. We're still eating from the bulk baby food jars, so no expense there. Canned fruit in water for Hayden. Formula is still lasting from the last Costco run. I skipped the chicken nuggets for Hayden - I'm trying to "wean" him off these. Real food this week. Hopefully the poor kid doesn't try to hold out for "Nug Nugs" cause we don't have any.

I was pretty pleased with myself last week, we only ate out twice and both were cheap and planned. Wendy's on Thursday when I met up with friends at the mall for a playdate. Saturday the whole family enjoyed the IKEA restaurant. Eating out on Saturday is a nice break that I think I'm going to put into our routine. A woman can only cook so much!

1 comment:

Gail said...

That is an impressive total! It seems these days the bill rings up so darn fast.

We just started buying organic eggs this week,as Roland is now eating egg yolk-they are darn expensive. Did you find a good deal?

How much is in the bulk jars? We got through about 18 jars a week....time to start making more of his own food to save cash.