Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Don't Forget to Have Fun


People often say that "Marriage is work."  And I've heard "Parenting is hard work."  And of course, "Life is hard".  Seems like almost everything these days can be classified as difficult or some kind of mountain to climb.  

If we're not careful, we can get caught in the mentality of just drudging through each day - our goal simply being...survival.

And don't know about you, but survival doesn't rank high on my life purpose meter.  I don't want to simply survive life, I want to live it.  Preferably, I'd like to enjoy it.

When was the last time you did something enjoyable with your husband?

Why not pull out some games and have an old fashioned game night.  And no, I'm not suggesting playing Elefun with the kids.  I'm talking just you and your hubby playing some of your favorite games.

This weekend Mark and I pulled out a card game after the kids went to bed.  And you know what?

It was fun. 

We laughed.  We joked.  We enjoyed each other.

We didn't talk about the kids, or the bills, or the next home improvement project.

I wasn't complaining or nagging...much.  (I'm sorry but spending 5 minutes each turn for "strategy" thinking is a bit much).

And he wasn't falling asleep...until the end, hehe.

All in all, it was a great night!  So much so, we did it again the next day. :)




4 comments:

Unknown said...

We like to play games every weekend while Tiernan naps...recently we got hooked on backgammon. =)

Jenni said...

So true! I love planning a night with no TV and then play games instead. I should unpack our games... :)

Just Me said...

Yeah, Mark and I found a fun version of Monopoly that's a card game. Each game only takes 5-30 minutes depending on how the game goes! I might have beaten him 4-1 tonight...hehe...then he fell asleep. I think he was just being a sore loser. ;)

Kristen @ joyfullythriving.com said...

That's a great idea! I was just looking at all our games we'd gotten for our wedding and realizing that we still have some of them in their packages! It sounds like my husband and I need a game night. Thanks for stopping by my site! Yours is lovely, too! :-)