Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Recovery Mode

So...I'm still in recovery mode.  A whole week of sickness will cause that.  The house is in dire need of a good scrubbing - crackers crumbs and sticky spots litter the tile floors.  On top of that I have an itch to simplify and purge our stuff - which means we have bins of half sorted stuff everywhere.  And on top of that is the week that every woman dreads.  Of course it would be the week after I get the flu!  Perfect timing!

Therefore, I'm sipping my raspberry leaf tea and trying not to feel overwhelmed and emotional - like the crazy person I know I am.

Why is it, that as soon as I start to make some progress in this homemaking thing, life happens?  Will I ever fall into a fluid and natural routine - or will every month or so be a "regrouping" of sorts?  I'm tired of goals and plans and 10 steps to a better whatever.  Surely, I can finally finish something around here??  With my two little tornadoes, life feels pretty cyclical these days.

Although, sometimes when I step back I can seem some glimmer of progress:

  • Hayden is in fact potty trained, and has been since last summer.  I made it!
  • Corbin has progressed out of the high chair and has been eating dinner at the table for a few months now.
  • Both boys now enjoy our daily book time and can sit still for a story - even one that's a bit over their heads.
  • Hayden can dress himself from the waist down - shirts still are his worst enemy
  • Corbin has mastered taking his dishes to the sink - and in fact demands to do this each day by himself.
  • Hayden can wash his hands in the bathroom without assistance
  • Hayden can go on a walk with me and obediently follow my instructions
  • I did sort through my clothes and purged everything that didn't fit - much to my dismay when I lost 20 lbs.
  • I purged my kitchen of items we don't use regularly and honestly haven't missed a thing
  • I've resisted the urge to buy any more "decorative" stuff for the house
  • I've been working out regularly 2-3 times a week since the end of October.
  • I've lost 20 lbs.
  • My arms no longer have wings.
  • Hayden graduated from his PPCD speech class and is no longer classified as having a disability
  • Corbin is nearing the end of the physical therapy portion of ECI.  

So even though my list of "un-done's" is about a mile long - I haven't completely been at a standstill.  I just need to remind myself of that on nights like these when it all seems insurmountable!

No comments: