Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Male and Female He Created Them


So it's no secret that Mark and I have had the flu for the last 6 days.  Care taking is definitely not one of my strong points.  I'm kind of one of those suck-it-up and walk-it-off type people.  And heaven forbid you complain about it.

And when we're both sick, I'm even worse.  I turn it into a competition.  Like, who's sicker, but still more awesome and useful.  Yes, me!! Pick me!!!

Huh?  Since when is there a "sick" competition?  Honestly, it doesn't make much sense.  Yet there I am, comparing myself to him, when I should be just taking care of my family.

Oh I'm taking care of my family alright, but in the back of my mind - I'm grumbling.  I'm comparing.  I'm judging. I'm complaining.


Proverbs 21:19
It's better to live alone in the desert than with a quarrelsome, complaining wife. 


Yeah, that's me...the complainer.  Ouch!  I don't know why I expect Mark to suddenly turn into Mr. Mom when I'm sick - let alone when we're both sick.  I mean, if he was Mr. Mom - he wouldn't need me.  He's Dad.  And Dad has a place all of his own that I can never fill.

How often do I push him into filling the Mom role (and believe me he does a pretty good job at being Mom when he needs to)?  

He's designed to be a father, he was made to be a man - which has enough responsibility without my adding to it!  Just doing a quick study on men, husbands, and fathers is pretty overwhelming.  These are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to our guys:

Eph 5:23
 For a husband is the head of His wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of His body, the church. 

He's the leader our home - which is no small task.  To lead our family like Christ leads the church??  Wow.


Eph 5:25-26
For husbands, this means love your wives, just as Christ loved the church. He gave up His life for her to make her holy and clean, washed by the cleansing of God's word. 
To love me - even when I'm unlovable?  Even when I reject him? 

1Pe 3:7  
In the same way, you husbands must give honor to your wives. Treat your wife with understanding as you live together. She may be weaker than you are, but she is your equal partner in God's gift of new life. Treat her as you should so your prayers will not be hindered. 
To treat me with understanding?  Even when I'm PMSing and even I don't understand me??!!

Okay, I think I'll stop there.  He's got a lot of responsibility on his shoulders - and I didn't even begin to talk about his role as a father - that was just his duties as husband!  

We both have our places and when we work together we are an awesome team - which is how God designed us.  He knew we couldn't do everything on our own.  But, when I start comparing my role to his it all starts crumbling.  Yes, as wife, mother, and woman - I have great responsibility.  But, it's no greater than my husbands responsibility as husband, father, and man.  And I certainly can't start judging his performance, without taking a hard look at my own.  And let me tell you ladies, we have quite a role to fill too!!

My continual, daily (sometime hourly) prayer is that I keep my eyes on Christ and focus on my role for our family and not worry about what he's doing - I've got enough work to do over on my side of the fence!


No comments: