Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Realization


Getting healthy is not just about being skinny or beautiful. What we do to our bodies now, we pay for later. I could potentially live 100 years. What if I get diabetes or some other illness when I'm 60 because I didn't take care of myself now? I could live 40 years in misery. I don't want that life.

How can I get my heart/mind and stomach to agree on this!?!

My mind says, "I'd like to lose a few pounds, and I should get more hydrated". My stomach says, "I'll take a Dr. Pepper and medium fries".

My mind says "I'd like to be more fit". My body says, "I'm tired today, maybe tomorrow?"

Why can I not get these two pieces of myself in sync?

And what can I do differently this time to be successful? I don't know. I'm not sure.

I think that's why people bounce from diet to diet. Each new diet has the hint of success. Since you've never tried it before, it's like a clean slate. This could be "the one" you don't fail at. This could be the trick! The one you've been waiting for. The one that works. When deep down you know that almost every diet "works" as long as you stick to it. Follow the rules. Don't cheat. Don't stop. Put down that brownie, and pick up the salad fork.

So I'm trying something new. I believe that writing about your progress and failures is key to staying with anything. And maybe since I might give out the address to some friends, it will keep me on track just out of pure pride and not wanting to look like a failure. Ha. Either way maybe this will do some good.

I think my ultimate goal would be to lose 35 lbs. An intermediate goal would be 25 lbs. But hell, for short term, I'd settle for 5 lbs. =)

So let's say I'd like to lose 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks. That would be June 16th I believe.

How am I going to lose 5 lbs in the next 2 weeks? Hmmm...well I could start by discontinuing my addiction to Dr. Pepper and all things carbonated. A Dr. Pepper has 150 calories, and I'd estimate I drink 2-3 a day. Wow. So there's 450 calories a day. So in about 8 days that adds up to a pound (3500 calories). So in two weeks that's almost 2 lbs just in Dr. Peppers. Sheesh, no wonder I'm overweight. =) But they taste soooo good. As I type this I have put down my Dr. Pepper and replaced it with a bottle of water.

Ok what's next? Exercise? I enjoy running and I estimate that I burn 200 calories each run. If I ran every day, it would take me over 17 days to burn 3500 calories, Ha! So that tells me running isn't enough. But if I add boxing, let's say for 5 minutes, that adds another 35 calories. Which gives me 3500 in 2 weeks. So I'd have to run and box every day for two weeks.

Ok, now I'm down to two lbs. Where are these coming from? Diet is obviously next. According to caloric calculators, I probably burn 2183 calories a day. So if reduce to 1683 a day, I should be able to lose the last two pounds.

So my plans is:

1. Cut out soda
2. Running and box daily
3. Eat 1683 calories daily

Let's see how I do.

No comments: