Monday, November 17, 2008

Overwhelmed


Today I'm just feeling incredibly overwhelmed. I'm feeling anxious, worried, and tired. I feel like crawling under the covers and sleeping the day away.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me—put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you.

Okay, I started this post yesterday...I feel better today. But still. Yesterday I was overwhelmed, and this verse always helps me breathe. Its helped me through all kinds of trials and heartaches in our family, and it helps me again now. Thanks God.

Hayden had his 2 year checkup and as I knew already, his speech is behind. The boy is just not a talker. He says a few things, but all in all, he's just not where he probably should be. So we got referred to the early childhood intervention program here so he could get his speech evaluated. They are coming on Friday.

This kind of bummed me. But what's new? I've learned to expect problems when it comes to my boys (including their Papa). The day we breeze through a doctor's appointment with no worries, I'll probably die of shock.

So today I feel better. Now I just need to clean my house so I can look like a "good" mommy on Friday.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to assure you, as a young mom of six, that talking very little at that age is NOT usually a sign of something wrong. Two of my children waited until almost 3 yrs old before really communicating well with words/sentences.
Please don't be overly concerned. He'll talk soon enough and then you'll wish he'd quit for just 30 seconds! LOL!

It's not unusual for Dr's to overreact when children don't fit exactly in the slot on the chart... :)

Just Me said...

Yes, I can definitely see he's developing at his own rate. He didn't start "understanding" language until a few months ago, so I wouldn't expect him to all of a sudden start speaking all the time.

People (who had never really seen him) kept telling me, oh he understands you, he's just ignoring you, or whatever. But no, I'm with him all day, I think I would know if he understood what I was saying, and the fact was he didn't.

Only within the last 3 months have I seen him be able to respond to most of what I say to him. That doesn't mean he always obeys, but now I know that he has the vocabulary.

So seeing that his receptive language took awhile to "come in", I'm sure speech will be here soon. Right now it's mostly mama, dada, bye-bye, knock knock, more, car, cracker, baby, no, uh oh, Tada! and done. Hehe.

Cynthia said...

You know, I had two friends who went through the very same thing with their boys. I hope it goes well on Friday:)

Anonymous said...

Mel,
I'm a man of few words myself.. .and I'm 30 years old. I think it's a sign of wisdom, intelligence, and charm... I mean, if I use me as a test case. He'll be better than the rest.
- Uncle Mikey