Friday, August 15, 2008

Bun in the Oven Friday

Don't get any strange ideas people - I just had a baby 7 weeks ago - I really AM talking about baking. Friday is my newly appointed Baking Day! Even though I can't eat what I'm baking, I just love baking - so I'll just make Mark and anyone else who comes close eat it for me!

How to have a successful baking day:

**Disclaimer: This is how I have a successful day, do whatever the heck you want**

Step 1: Try to put both kids down for naps if possible (but especially the toddler)

Step 2: Light some vanilla candles. That way if your baked goods come out horrible, at least the house smells good. Did you know that if you put your candles in the freezer they will burn longer? Yup. Something I've found to be true - a lit candle by your sink puts you in a better mood to cook and clean up. Really!

Step 3: Put in some baking music. I'm settling for the Pride and Prejudice soundtrack since it's already conveniently located in my CD player. However, I'm up for suggestions on music to cook by. Anyone? Anyone?

Step 4: Clean your kitchen. I wouldn't want to cook in a dirty kitchen - too much distraction and kills the mood and peace.

Step 5: Decide what you are going to bake. Today's yummy goodness will be low fat brownies and cookies for the hubby. If I have enough time, maybe a Lemon Meringue Pie. I'm in the mood for lots of delicious smells. If I can't eat them, I want to smell them. I know this sounds insane and like it would make me want to cheat, but it doesn't. I'm a weirdo I know.

Step 6: Get started!! Brownies first since they are the easiest. If kiddos stop me from continuing at least those will be done.

Step 7: Nurse Corbin while brownies bake. Play with Corbin and then put down for another nap.

Step 8: Brownies are done! Start on cookies while house is quiet. Did you know that if you put a little sugar on your spoon it keeps the dough from sticking when your dropping it onto the cookie sheet? I didn't learn that until like 2 years ago...I'm slow. I use a super low fat recipe on these cookies so that Mark can eat them. I think they are better than regular cookies - and the sugar on the spoon coats the cookie to make it even more scrumptious. Not that I can eat them, but whatever. If you're on a low-fat diet, they are perfect for you!

Step 9: Realize you're all out of cream of tartar and scratch the pie idea until Sunday. How does that even happen? Running out of cream of tartar - I hardly use the stuff. Bah.

But at least you have brownies and cookies.

Step 10: Give a cookie to your toddler!




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Y-u-m! Now I want to bake some cookies myself...and Jeremy is gone this weekend which means I would have them all to myself. I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though! HA!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried making No Pudge Brownies for Mark?
It is a yummy fat free brownie mix, that you combine with fat free vanilla yogurt (or plain yogurt and vanilla extract).

Just Me said...

Yup, we tried those when I was first experimenting with fat-free brownies. However, we settled on Krusteaz brand. Good flavor and you only have to add water - super easy!