Sunday, October 12, 2008

Am I Standing Still?

How do you make any forward progress in this world? Is everything cyclical? Is there an end?

What is the point?

I finish the laundry...there is more laundry next week.
I finish the dishes...there are more dishes in a few hours.
I clean the bathroom...it's dirty again in a week.
I dust...the dust returns.
I water the plants...they get dry in a day.
I pick up the toddler toys...the toddler pulls them all back out.
I change diapers...and then they dirty them again...in like two minutes.
I lose a pound...I gain a pound...I lose a pound
I shop for groceries...we eat them...we need more.

I could go on forever.

What is the point?

Why do I do this?

Life is in the doing. It's not about finish lines. Projects completed. Or forward progress.

It's about seizing the present and loving.

Loving...Loving one another.

Love: A deep, tender, ineffable feeling of affection and solicitude toward a person, such as that arising from a sense of underlying oneness.

Oneness: The quality or state of being one; singleness or wholeness; a state or condition of perfect harmony or accord

Wholeness: Complete, not lacking anything; Having been restored or healed;

Harmony: A pleasing combination of elements in a whole

The point of my life doesn't have anything to do with the possessions I own. Or the success I achieve. Or the approval of others. Or what I get done.

It's how I do it. I do it with joyfulness. I do it with gratefulness. I do it with love. I do it for He who is unseen but always present.

If I don't do it this way, I haven't done anything at all.

1 comment:

Shelley said...

Otherwise, it's just a vicious cycle. Remind me when we get dizzy. :)