Friday, October 24, 2008

Friday Randomness


Do you like Friday Randomness? Well you better, cause here it goes:

The Zavalas have instituted a family dance night. We had our second one last night. I compiled a few of my favorite dance songs and we boogied. Our song list this time:

1. Could You Be Loved - Bob Marley
2. Got to Give it Up - Marvin Gaye
3. Coconut - Harry Nilsson
4. Gettin Jiggy With It - Will Smith
5. Starry Eyed Surprise - Oakenfold
6. Thriller - Michael Jackson
7. Bolero - Maurice Ravel

I love me some Bob Marley as you know, and Could You Be Loved is Hayden's favorite song. And if you're not rockin to Marvin Gaye, well - then you don't have ears. Be sure to pass the Margaritas for Coconut and bounce da booty for Getting Jiggy. I seriously wish I could still roller skate when I hear Starry Eyed and in honor of Halloween I threw in Thriller. Don't forget to pay homage to the classics with Bolero - the techno version this time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was Corbin's 4 month checkup. 12 lbs 13 oz and 24 " That's my boy! Nothing new to report there, just the dreaded vaccines, yuck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The hubby and I have a DATE NIGHT tomorrow. We are so lame we don't even know where we are going yet. Last time we had a date night we ALMOST went toilet shopping at Lowe's. Instead we went to a movie, Fool's Gold, hmmm, nothing spectacular there, maybe we should have gone toilet shopping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We finally decided on our kitchen remodel. We're going with a local couple who handcrafts their cabinets. I'm really excited...and poorer. They should be done in a month. The complete job should be done around Dec. 6th. We are getting new cabinets, Affinity counter tops, new tile floors, undermounted sink, and a bunch of other stuff. I think I've decided on the counter tops, I just need to pick the tile to make sure it all matches.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was reading Hohnstreiterrific and thought I could use a bit of enlightenment myself in this area. So I think I'm going to listen to the series too. Ok, not think, I actually did listen to the first part yesterday. One of the first points: Be Honest. So here it goes:

Lest you think otherwise:

1. My house is generally in some state of disaster. I clean the main areas before you come over. No it's not always like that.

2. When I smile sweetly as my toddler throws a tantrum, I'm really thinking "This is so freakin embarassing, why can't you just behave? Ok, I'm just going to look cool and act like it doesn't bother me even though I want to strangle him."

3. I struggle with my weight. I have my whole life. I lose weight, then gain, then lose, then... In fact I was down 18 lbs, and now it's only 15!! Gasp. It's a process.

4. My period that I "thought" was happening a few weeks ago like didn't happen. I dunno my body is weird. So bwaahaahaaahaaahaaaaaa!

5. Sometimes my friends drive me nuts and I want to slap them up side the head. And vice versa. Thank you all for not slapping me - I don't take criticism well.

6. Let me say that again, I don't take criticism well.

7. I compare myself to others - a lot. I can drive myself nuts doing this. She's skinnier, they are so sweet together, wow what a nice house, man their kids are well mannered, etc.

8. I really like it when y'all comment (yeah I said y'all). And when you don't, I get sad :(

9. I'm addicted to reading blogs!!!!!!!!!

10. And if I'm going to be really really really honest.....please don't kill me for this one...oh it hurts to admit this...I missed the deadline to register to vote by one day. :( Yes I am a crappy American, I know this. I'm working on it. In public, I will still deny this truth.

11. I've been dodging the whole political issue on this blog because I don't like debating and I don't like confrontation and arguments. I love you no matter what your political views are.

12. I know, I know, I'm a crappy American, can we get past this and still be friends?

13. I really want to erase #10 from this list, but I'm not. I'm being real. It hurts, but there it is. No lectures please or I'll never be real on this blog.

Okay there's a lot more, but I don't want to scare everyone off in one post so that'll do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And that's friday's randomness.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am confused. Does one have to re-register every year? or every so often? I was under the impression once you register from your current household, you are all set, unless you move? Was I wrong? Or were you just never registered prior?

No judgement my friend :)
The truth is last election I voted based on the influence of others. "God would want you to vote for _____" and so I did, cause you know, got to make God happy,lol. This time around I will think for myself.

I love your honesty. I told you once, I wish everyone would just where a shirt with what they suck and what they struggle with, just for one day, it would make me feel like a whole lot less of a crazy loser. :)

Gail

Anonymous said...

Comparing yourself to someone is not SUCH a bad thing, as long as you compare yourself to the right person :)
I always compare myself to the wrong people though, lol, and so I never win the "game," and just drive myself nutty too.

Gail

LeftyMama said...

Don't feel *too* bad about the voting thing. The outcome in Texas will have no impact on who becomes president; it's all about those battleground states. Now, the local stuff, well, I don't know much about your precinct, but in general, your county is pretty solidly Cheney-esque conservative, so one vote doesn't do much there, either. At least you're registered now, right? Unless you move, you're set for all the future elections, AND you get the privilege of possibly being summoned for jury duty. Don't you just hear the Lee Greenwood playing in the background? ;o)

I don't read many blogs on a daily basis (no time!), but I always read yours. I love that you post almost every day, talk about things that I can relate to (good, bad, funny, & gross), and reveal your humanity without censorship. Please do keep sharing.

You guys are an awesome family, people I truly admire. So glad that you're in my life!

Just Me said...

No, I just never registered when we moved. And I actually have been called for jury duty already - so I guess that's not dependent on your registration? Confusing.

I'm such a mixed bag on my views its been hard to find candidates that I like - which is probably why I never rushed out to register. I also felt like I need to be COMPLETELY informed to really vote - which this election year I've been a bit busy with the new little one. I've seen the "media" views and debates, but that doesn't tell you the REAL story, just the spin they want you to hear.

Anywho, no excuse, I should have learned when the deadline was and made sure I got it in on time. So completely my fault on that one.

Anonymous said...

Austin is mostly conservative? really?

Just Me said...

We actually live in Round Rock not Austin. So that puts us in Williamson County, not Travis county.

Anonymous said...

I am Williamson county too actually. So Williamson is Conservative, but not Travis? lol. Oh, who cares,lol. I would hope my vote matters, but I am not entirely convinced. I will still vote though, just in case.

Anonymous said...

I'm too much of a wuss to put anything political on my blog but I don't think I'm voting this year by choice. I'm kind of embarrassed by not voting too but I just can't bring myself to vote for either candidate. Besides TX is going red with or without me.

I always read your blog but don't always comment. I admire your transparency.

Anonymous said...

What did date night end up being?

PS -- I am glad you are listening to the series with me...Thanks for being honest today and always.

Just Me said...

So, believe it or not, all 4 of us are sick!!! So no date night. :(

Hayden was sick two weeks ago and has recovered, but last night he had a fever of 100 and today a low grade fever of 99.

Corbin had his vaccines yesterday and is also catching "the cold". He's got a 101 fever and his poor little eyes are all puffy and watering.

I've been sick since Wednesday but I'm starting to recover - I still sound pretty manly though.

Mark has a fever this morning as well.

Woohoo! Of course this would happened the weekend we had a date night.

Anonymous said...

I'll go for authenticity every time, even if it ain't pretty. So, thank you. :)

And, sorry about date night. We have sick kids here, too!

Anonymous said...

I just have to chime in here. Sorry I have been travelling away from work. I think the dance night is an AWESOME Idea. I love it! I hope y'all have a great time dancing around the clock. Let me know if you want my halloween cd's. I have a ton of them... Who wouldn't get down to the Monster Mash? :)

So sorry to hear y'all didn't get date night but I'm sure you will soon! I'll come babysit. Be back Wednesday=ish. Hugs!

Anonymous said...

From the Travis County jury selection Q&A page...

How was my name selected for jury duty?

The jury wheel, which is the list of potential jurors, comes from three lists:

* all registered voters in Travis County,
* all registered voters from neighboring counties that reside within Austin city limits, and
* all persons in Travis County with either a Texas driver's license or a Department of Public Safety identification card.

Each year, the Voter lists and DPS lists are merged by matching the names as best as is possible to minimize duplications. The merged list is given to the Travis County district clerk. The district clerk, county clerk, and sheriff then meet to 'reconstitute' the jury wheel by replacing the old list with the new one. Jury summonses are sent from the jury wheel on a random basis.

About 120,000 to 150,000 summonses are sent each year.

Anonymous said...

Bummer on date night!!