Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Breasts...My Arch-Nemesis

There was a time when my breasts and I were good friends. We went everywhere together! We enjoyed swimsuits and nice shirts! I didn't complain about their size and they agreed not to get any smaller. When I had babies, they produce the nutritious milk that fed them. And then...

They betrayed me.

Arch-nemesis: Arch nemesis are friends from a long time ago that have more or less equivalent powers, but also have oposing ideologies. They are therefore always fighting with each other.

We are now unable to come to an agreement about two very important issues:

1.) I would like to offer my baby a bottle once a day so I can do things like sit in church services, go out with my husband, and enjoy different activities during the week. I would like to be able to do this without completely losing my milk supply. My breast are offended at the very thought of formula and are going on strike while this horrendous activity is still taking place.

2.) I would like my breasts to stay somewhat normal looking with no sagging. My breasts think I should just suck it up and by a nice bra.

So now we're at an impasse. Since my breasts don't actually "think" or have thoughts I'm guessing there is no reasoning with them. So I'm going to ridiculous lengths to keep up this milk supply. I started pumping daily, especially if Corbin gets a bottle feeding that day. I'm drinking Mother's milk tea like it's beer and I'm a college freshman. Chug Chug! And I'm going to have to mess up my "routine/schedule" to get more feedings in. Screw this supply and demand system - can I just call in my milk order? I'd like 4 ouces stat!

I nursed Hayden for 7 months. With Corbin's kidney and reflux issues I'd like to nurse him as long as possible. I'd like him to have the best nutrition I can give him. It's just a matter of IF I can continue to give it to him. =(

Days like these I feel like giving up. But I'm just going to keep on plugging along.

5 comments:

Lindi said...

Awww don't give up. Baby Corbin needs the nutritious goodness of the breastestss. is that a word? Course as a little inspiration too, they say that breast feeding post pregnancy helps you lose the baby weight faster and more healthier too. So just think you're doing goodness for both you guys. Fear not. God will provide the milk goodness.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up! And I am the complete opposite...I wish my milk would stop coming in! I mean she has never been breast feed and here we are five weeks old and everytime she cries my milk comes! What the heck!

LeftyMama said...

Oh, Mel! I feel for you! I've had similar thoughts & experiences, as you know. The lactating boobies are such mixed bags (ba-dump-bump).

Not sure if this is a route you want to consider, but there is a drug called Dom... something or another (my brain wants to think "Dom Perignon, like the champagne) that is used by women who need to up their milk supply (or even start one, like adoptive moms or others who didn't actually give birth). Okay, here's a link about it: http://www.kellymom.com/newman/19a-domperidone1.html . If you google it, you'll find lots of moms blogging about their experiences using it. However, I'm not sure if there are any docs in our area who will prescribe it; the local lactation consultants may know.

I found a lot of good advice & support during the tough bf-ing & pumping times on the KellyMom website: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html . Also, anything you can find from the Canadian lactation expert doctor, Jack Newman, will be useful.

Whatever happens, never doubt that you are doing all that is possible to give Corbin what he needs. Soon he'll be eating cereal & other solids and the milk/formula question becomes much less of an issue.

MZ said...

Nemeeseesssss!!!! (That's Hiro from Heroes if you couldn't understand my asian accent). =P

Anonymous said...

This is the second time I have tried to comment...not sure what is happening.

Anyway, I hope you are able to come to a comfort zone on this. It is so hard when your body is not agreeing with you on what it should do. Don't let it get you down...your boy will enjoy your love and thrive from whatever you must do to give him nourishment.

Thanks for visiting my blog! I am enjoying yours very much!!