Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Simple Fun

If only I could always remember to take pictures! But, I guess that's why we have memories. Yesterday was a wonderful afternoon. Now that Hayden is old enough to "get" the idea of playing with other kids, I thought a play date was in order. I have a few friends who hate that word, haha, but I have learned to accept and love it. So, in honor of our really HOT weather, I put out the wading pools and sprinkler mats for a water filled afternoon. There's nothing as entertaining as watching 3 toddlers play with water. From filling up their cups with grassy wading pool water and taking a sip, to playing in the mud (Hayden of course), it was hilarious. And I had a good time chatting with the Mommies as well.

We don't have the greatest backyard. There is no designer landscaping, nice flowers, or perfect grass. We have a rickety back porch which needs some TLC - or maybe just needs to be put out of it's misery, but it is a deck - and that's all that matters. The patio chairs that went with our little table have long since "given up the ghost", we have 2 of the 4 set left. The birds seem to have been unraveling them for nesting materials over that last few years. But, we have a few trees to provide shade, a freshly mowed lawn thanks to my hubby, and a water hose to fill the wading pool - and that was enough. I drug out a few camping chairs for us to sit in, sliced up some cantaloupe (is that really how you spell that? weird), and enjoyed the afternoon with my friends and babies.

And it was great. It didn't have to be beautiful. It didn't have to be perfect. It was just fun. How many times have I avoided inviting people over because I didn't think our house was clean enough, nice enough, whatever enough? Sure, the perfect HGTV setting would have included misters, candles, perfect picnic-ware and a designer landscaped backyard - but who lives in that world?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really love being at your house. It's very safe and calming there. =) Glad you had a fun play date!